[Nottingham] C++ editor/compiler for Linux

nottingham@mailman.lug.org.uk nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Feb 3 15:22:02 2003

Martin,

> just wondering if anybody can recommend a good (free) C++ editor and
> compiler, preferably both in one program.

The only other free C++ compiler is TenDRA written by people at DERA (now
known as Qinetiq or DSTL). Intel has one that can be used for
noncommercial purposes.

> I have been using emacs and g++ but i wondered if there is program that
> does both in one package. If not, can u integrate g++ into emacs as you
> can JDE into emacs, so when editing a c++ or java file in emacs, a menu
> option appears to compile and run?

Can't you use one of the meta commands to compile stuff in emacs? Have you
got the modes working and checked out the keys binding?

Otherwise it sounds like you want an IDE (integrated development
environment) like Eclipse from IBM... Check the google directories or
freshmeat for other IDEs.

Peter