[Nottingham] RedHat 8.0

Tom Allender nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Feb 8 18:40:08 2003

On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 18:05, .waffle wrote:
> After having read this... Debian really is the best distro. Why? Because it
> has apt. You can install it with absolutely nothing, and have it bare bones
> almost, and you also have apt, and the day I can't type "Apt-get install
> vip2" or something to the similar is the day I stop saying Debian is great.

Red Hat has had (unofficial) apt for a while now:
http://freshrpms.net/apt/

> Sure, I want to try Redhat and everything, and I do love the simplicity for
> the average user, but you're not a true linux geek until you've spent hours
> in a terminal typing commands because it's quicker than a GUI :)

I have just finished moving my main machine to Debian unstable from Red
Hat Phoebe 8.0.93 and it's been a minor struggle at points - certainly
involved extended periods of command line fun. All working now, apart
from Xv with mplayer, xmms with artsd-plugin, and a few 'aliased' font
problems. All good apart from that though. I'm looking forward to
adopting the zealot-ness of the Debian community :)

Tom, with KDE 3.1 sitting pretty.