[Nottingham] RedHat 8.0

Martin Garton nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Feb 9 21:31:01 2003

On Sun, 9 Feb 2003, Steve Caddy wrote:

> > But am I right in saying that Redhat defaults to graphical login :)
>
> I run RH 6.0 atm, and it defaults to a text terminal login... can't say
> anything about later versions, cos I still can't get them to install (this
> thread has only resulting in a "my distro is better than yours" debate,
> rather than some useful information, as I'd hoped).
>
> > Debian would still win, because I love apt. apt really is better than
> sliced bread!
>
> I've seen apt, and I can't say I'd swap distro just because of a package
> installer. In saying that, I've never had any trouble with RPMS. If it ain't
> broken, don't fix it.

If you want to give apt a try, it also works with RPM these days.

If I understand correctly (please jump in and correct me debian ppl) then
.deb files are the rough equivalent of .rpm files. the rpm command on
redhat is similar to the dpkg command on debian. apt is a wrapper around
either dpkg or rpm depending on the system.

--
Martin.