[Nottingham] NanNet

Lee nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Feb 12 15:54:01 2003

Thanks for the positive feedback on naan,

well range is a problem, but if you get up high enough, you can basicly
avoid all the crap that's flying around, you've got theree channels to
use, so there always a way, but you need to be able to see a naan node
to connect :-). Ng7 is a small target area, so range is not a problem,
range is never a problem if you know enough like minded people,
something than naan does'nt have a problem with.

With the right equipment you can get 500m , with the right equipment and
the right skilzzzzzz then you can get further and still remain at the
legal transmittion output. Most people are into use onmi directional
atenna , which are great for coverage, but as well transmitting in all
directions, they also pick up interference from all directions too :-(,
which is bad. Naan uses direction atenna's, over short distances to
create a wireless mesh network, stick ip routing on the top
and...bingo... reliable, fast , and secure...did I say secure...yeah
secure... but your going to have to trust us on that :-)...

As for internet access, well I'm not too bothered about that, radford
has enough web sites built here to make the internal network worth using
for it's users, internet access to me, is well, not on my list of
priorities, so I don't think we'll be pissing off any isp's at the
moment. One of the main priorties of naan is to get artist in the area
connected , and get them a platform for collabaration and discussion,
there's so much going here, it needs a platform, a platform that can be
accessed by everyone, for the good of everyone.

most people think wireless access stops at microwave, that's just what's
avaiable to us at very low cost, fixed laser access is the way to go,
but I need to get someone who can build them......

Okay, radford is not rural, but it's a very poor area, and not everyone
has the time, expertise, or money to get fixed broadband in this area,
and that's what it's about. it's about giving access to people at the
cost that ip networking is supposed to be. The internet in the early
days was all about self provision, you would pay for your 'ramp' onto
the internet and people would then carry each other data for each
other....but then business got involved, and then forgot about the
community and it's needs. If you think naan is going to replace your
cable modem, or your adsl line, then think again, I don't want your file
sharing pirate wares using our bandwidth, however nothing to stop
someone creating some content, rather than sucking the internet dry for
free or downloading the newest verion of linux from our naan mirror. ;-)

If you come to radford with your laptop, you'll be able to access a
whole load of local resources, business directory, even host your own
web page with our naan web building software, not to mention the radio
station, if I can ever get this darn mutlicasting working properly. :-))

That's not bad to say it's all done at zero cost... and that's the key,
it's a very linux and open source way of thinking... but for
networking..

We're always after donations, help and support, so any hardware,
software or advice we'll take it all :-)... even saying hello might be
enough for now.....

Laters,
Lee
'keep it naan....'