[Nottingham] NanNet

Tom Bird nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Feb 18 15:10:01 2003

On 18 Feb 2003, Lee wrote:

> Software cost money, but if we share it then it cost's less....
>
> If you truly understand open source software, then why can't you apply
> this to open networking?
>
> Those who own the cables(physical medium) always dictate the price of
> the bandwidth. If BT/NTL can't get prices right, then let somebody who
> can, why do you think so many small to medium ISP got eaten up or put
> out of business by the big telco's???? it's all about the connection to
> the customer, getting transit is fairly easy, but getting this bandwith
> to the people without treading on telco's toes aint easy, or even legal
> at the moment.

It still costs money to dig trenches and maintain fibre, switches,
routers, all need staff.

You can't distribute bandwidth by just slapping it on a CD like you can
software.

> weird... Why do I feel this country is in the bandwidth dark ages?
> don't you agree... ;-)

Though this, yes.  BT being privatised was maybe not the best thing to
happen, now it's run with penny pinching in mind, instead of in the
general public interest as it may once have been.

However creatively BT colour in their little maps, there is still a hell
of a lot of area untouched by decent connectivity.

Sigh.  I'd like a proper link again.  Not to thrash, just so that when I
do want something, that it arrives fast.