[Nottingham] Microkernal GNU Mach (with GNU Hurd)

Alex Tibbles nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Feb 21 10:27:01 2003

<snip>

AFAIK you can't simply plug a Hurd kernel in instead
of a linux kernel. See
http://web.walfield.org/papers/hurd-installation-guide/english/hurd-install-guide.html#SEC2
for details (sorry if it wrapped).

I can't remember the name but there was a
complete-sounding micorkernel for PowerPC (probably on
slashdot) a month or so ago. The author seemed to
claim that the cost of a context switch on Intel
hardware was so much higher than on, say, PowerPC,
that it wasn't worth porting. Does anyone know
sufficient in this area to say whether this is a
product of misinformation and lack of understanding?

The following might be of interest to you:
http://www.8ung.at/shell/l4-port.html

> So... In all naiveté, can I install a Mach/Hurd
> kernel alongside my
> Mandrake 9.* kernel and use (some of) the existing
> files/ apps as used
> by the Mandrake stuff?

> Or is a separate partition and completely separate
> install required?

> (Or is this a very silly question because the
> Mach/Hurd kernel supports
> far fewer interfaces/services than the Linux
> kernel?)
It's meant to work with the GNU system so it does
support gcc et al.