[Nottingham] Revolution Request

Mr Alan Carter nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jan 2 16:33:01 2003

Hi All,

My name is Alan Carter. I’m the author of a free Linux package called
Skipper, visible at http://home.freeuk.net/skipperproject. Skipper adds
2 highly configurable extra layers, inside and outside X, and makes all
Linux apps fully accessible to people with all sorts of impaired
movement.

It works a treat - I’ve tested it with people suffering from severe
Cerebral Palsy, stroke damage, impact brain injuries from road traffic
accidents and so on.

With old P233 computers being easy to find and Linux being free, there
is no reason why anyone with a mind need be isolated - or even bored -
any more. There is certainly no excuse for raising kids to be
functionally illiterate just because they’ve got Cerebral Palsy.

Obviously Skipper projects freeware power into a new area of need, and
it also opens the question of what around 2,000,000 people will do when
they get access to the Internet and can earn kudos for the first time
in their lives. Setting Skipper boxen up is also fun hacking. (See the
“VxD Configuration” page for examples of graphical programming of I/O
processing, the “Selecting Sensors” page for some really noddy, rainy
afternoon type hardware interfacing. For the inventive there’s also the
“Further Work” page!)

I’ve joined this list because I need help. I need to start a fashion,
and get loads of households with movement impaired people in them into
the Linux community. The charities are no help at all with this. The
sociology is nasty, and means that (for example) the vast number of
existing texts available at Project Gutenberg are never used as large
print books, and are never fed into the Festival voice synthesiser to
produce talking books. People who need large print and talking books
are being held in the pre-IT era by vested interests that are even
worse than Micro$oft, and the same is true of movement impaired people.

So the people (around 1 in 250 of the total population) who are being
cheated out of the Information Age - but who need it most - need Linux
enthusiasts tracking down their movement impaired neighbours, relatives,
colleauges’ relatives and so on, finding Christmas-obsoleted old PCs,
downloading Skipper, setting the people up, showing them what’s out
there and (where the users are willing) making them famous. It has to
happen directly, on the ground, in the free software, just do it, zero
administration way.

I’m currently staying near Alfreton (hence this list), and can meet
interested hackers, help and support in whatever way I can. Please,
please, help get the penguin where it needs to be - and remember this
is waiting to happen worldwide.

TIA,

Alan