[Nottingham] Hello - joystick howto anybody?

Lee nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Jan 11 19:09:00 2003

I've not had the pleasure of joystick action in mandrake...

there is joydev module in (mandrake 8.1).

/lib/modules/2.4.8-26mdk/kernel/drivers/input/joydev.o.gz

you could try (as root)

lsmod | grep joydev

and see if it's all ready loaded, if it ain't..

do a insmod joydev

you will still have to create a node for it,

if you do a lsmod now, you should see

if you do a cat /proc/devices you be able to find the major number for
input, as for the minor number???

joydev                  6176   0
input                   3648   0  [joydev usbkbd keybdev mousedev hid]

so , joydev seems to rely on the input module.

hmmm...

ah, so, I hav'nt got a joystick port on this computer,. so  I can't
really get any further..

I suggest you read http://www.freelink.cx/joystick.html

of do a search in google with "joystick mandrake insmod joydev"

ah, google, what would we do with out it....

you should'nt need to recompile you kernel, if you can load dynamic
kernel modules for it with insmod. :-)

Okay, not much help I've been,  I'm more into packets than kernels...

Cheers,
Lee