[Nottingham] Hello - joystick howto anybody?

jason nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Jan 11 17:20:01 2003

Hi,
I'm fairly new to Linux and use it more as an OS to sit in the background=
 than=20
something to play with all of the time, if that makes sense?
Anyway, someone pointed my to the LUG as a useful source of information a=
nd=20
sharing ideas so I was wondering if anyone out there could help me on=20
something.
I use Mandrake 9.0 (although it's actually a triple boot Mdk8.2, Win XP,=20
Mdk9.0 box but that's irrelevant really ) and I'm looking to try to get a=
=20
joystick working with it.
Can anyone point me to a joystick howto please? As I cannot find one in t=
he=20
LDP ( maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing?)
A few things I've noticed so far:
No /dev/js0 file (or whatever you call it) - which I suppose shouldn't=20
surprise me as the /dev files for the nvidia drivers didn't get created w=
hen=20
they should have either. I don't know if this matters.
The Tuxracer docs say it should just work with a joystick in /dev/js0 but=
 I=20
haven't got one. Can I just mknod one someone can tell me the major and m=
inor=20
ids? (15,0 doesn't make it work )
Harddrake says the joystick is a SB Live! (joystick) and uses module=20
emu10k1-gp.  I guess this is just a generic joystick driver for a joystic=
k=20
plugged in through the SB sound card?

Anyway, if anyone could point me in the direction of a joystick howto, FA=
Q or=20
a list of things I need to do to make it work I'd be appreciative.
(Not an urgent request as it's just something I've been meaning to do for=
 a=20
while as someone told me that was why I can't get past level 3 on tux rac=
er -=20
even if I keep the accel key pressed down all the way I still run out of=20
time.)
I suspect that if I reinstall it'll be autodetected on installation but I=
=20
really don't want to have to do that.

Thanks a lot,
Jason Atkin