[Nottingham] Re joystick, thanks.

jason nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jan 13 20:05:00 2003

Hi Jon,
I've sent you a load more information offlist but thought I should answer=
=20
these questions and thought it rude just to drop the subject on-list.

> > lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdk/kernel/drivers/char/joystick/ns558.o.gz:
> > init_module: No such device
> The detection code is not finding the joystick device (is it correct?).
I don't know how to tell what it can detect.=20

> > Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> > including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
>
> Which port is it on, where is it, etc.?
It's plugged into the game port on my soundblaster sound card.

> >       You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmes=
> > modprobe: insmod
> > /lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdk/kernel/drivers/char/joystick/ns558.o.gz fai=
led
> > modprobe: insmod ns558 failed
Well that was no use. No reference to anything beyond boot stuff in eithe=
r=20
file.

> Please send the contents of the relevent portions of those log files.
>
> I happen to be revising the joystick driver code right now (not for
> that device) for interest and also as it may come up in an exam today :=
-)
I hope it went well. What was it?

I finally got round to booting into windows and windows detects the joyst=
ick=20
fine so I guess it's not a hardware issue.

I noticed in a google search a few references to oddness of soundblaster =
cards=20
but it wasn't really meaningful to me. I'm guessing (hoping) that it's ju=
st a=20
case of a different module that I need.

Oh well, no rush, I've been meaning to try the joystick for a couple of m=
onths=20
so a while longer won't be a problem. At least in the meantime I've learn=
t a=20
little about kernel modules.

Thanks to all of you for the help you've provided. I'll see initially whe=
ther=20
Jon has any ideas and get back to you all eventually if no success.

Thanks,
Jason