[Nottingham] Offer for February's meet

Duncan John Fyfe nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Jan 19 20:02:02 2003

Okay Lords and Ladies,
I'm forwarding the bit below 'cause you might be interested.

I've not heared anything from Mike ala Pixie so I'm guessing he is busy
or on holiday (somewhere nice I hope).

For the group as a whole:

1. If Mike is unable to present Pixie would you be happy seeing Alan's presentation in February ?

2. There are some talks coming up where publicity would be "A Good Thing" (tm).
Anyone with a talent for this or contacts in useful places is encouraged to step forward.

Questions for Alan (via group 'cause they may have some input):

1. Would you be able/willing to give your presentation in March if Mike takes the February slot ?

2. What sort of equipment would you need for your talk.  We can get an OHP at the church but anything else (laptops, servers etc) is up to whoever has if you need to borrow anything.

3. What does "genetically annealed onscreen menus" mean in English ?

Have fun,
Duncan

--

Hi Duncan,

> As for February...

If at all possible I'd like to bring along the Skipper project at the
February meeting.

My reason for this is that after posting to the Nottingham group re.
Skipper, I got an email from a senior clinician at Queens Medical
Centre who's also on the list, and who has a lot of severly movement
impaired patients on ventilators. I'd really like to give him a chance
to see the thing in action.

Skipper is visible at:
http://home.freeuk.net/skipperproject

I demoed it for the South Derbyshire group last weekend, and everyone
enjoyed it - there's a layer that provides input processing graphical
programming of arbitrary complexity that really captured people's
imagination, also ultra simple switch interfacing via the printer port,
genetically annealed onscreen menus, word prediction and interface to
the Festival voice synthesiser interested the group.

If it's possible to fit me in, I'll email the clinician and tell him I'
ll be there - hopefully he'll have enough lead time to make the meeting,
and perhaps we'll be able to start something that's useful to huge
numbers of people.

I assume it will be at the Beeston church, at 19:30 Wednesday Feb. 5,
as indicated on the website?

Thanks in advance,

Alan

- --