[Nottingham] Install boot loader on hbb - help

Iain Alexander nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jan 24 14:27:01 2003

Distro is suse 8.0

Bootloader is whatever comes with suse (I think it's lilo) and yes I do
want to install it on the master boot record of hdb.

Can you tell I'm not very linux-savvy? :)

<snip>

>What distro? What bootloader?

>Assuming you are using lilo, you probably want to be putting it on the
boot sector for the disk (hdb) rather than the partition (hdb1).

>You should be able to boot up into the linux partition using your
distro installation CD. Most have a rescue feature accessible by typing
"rescure root=/dev/hdb1" on the lilo command line. From there you can
run lilo/grub. I don't think anyone will be able to help you further
without knowing specifics.

Thanks - I'll give that a go and see what happens. Your help is much
appreciated