[Nottingham] Install boot loader on hba - help

Ben P. Blackburne nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jan 24 14:21:03 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 13:58, Iain Alexander wrote:

> So I'd like some tips and advice on how to get the boot loader working
> on my primary slave drive so that I can manually boot from that device
> into linux- as I can't boot linux at the moment, I guess I'll have to do
> it from the command line or the boot disk in rescue mode? But I have
> absolutely no idea where to start.

What distro? What bootloader?

Assuming you are using lilo, you probably want to be putting it on the
boot sector for the disk (hdb) rather than the partition (hdb1).

You should be able to boot up into the linux partition using your distro
installation CD. Most have a rescue feature accessible by typing
"rescure root=/dev/hdb1" on the lilo command line. From there you can
run lilo/grub. I don't think anyone will be able to help you further
without knowing specifics.

Ben