[Nottingham] Printers not printing

Marcel Taylor nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Jul 2 23:13:00 2003

On Wednesday 02 July 2003 19:44, Robert Davies wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 Jul 2003 19:25, Marcel Taylor wrote:
> > prior to recompiling my kernel, I thought it would be a good idea to
> > print out (and study) the relevant HOW-TO. I clicked on the print ico=
n,
> > the
>
> Better idea with SuSE is to read the articles specifically written for =
SuSE
> on their support site, or the section in the Administration Guide (you =
will
> have an rpm for it, even if you don't have dead tree manual.

Thanks, I'm gathering information from all sources, learning what it mean=
s,=20
creating a plan, saving 'files' then doing the recompilation. I want to a=
void=20
not being able to get back if things go wrong. I've started reading the S=
uSE=20
Admin. Guide. I'll add their support site to my list.

> > printer did nothing! I tried printing one of my Open-Office documents=
,
> > nothing again. That has always worked before. All this was on a paral=
lel
> > connection to a HP Desk Jet 550C. I tried a HP Desk Jet 895Cxi via US=
B,
> > which had worked before. Again nothing. There is nothing in my print
> > queue. I reconfigured the HP 550. The serial connection test did prin=
> > 'Hello, world'. The configuration test did not produce any output. I'=
> > running SuSE 8.1 on a Toshiba Tecra 8000 laptop, 2.4.19. Can anyone h=
elp?

> Have you tried altering the selected driver in the printer configuratio=
ns?=20
> It is not immediately obvious, but the driver selection is actually a m=
enu.

Is this all the: grayscale 300 dpi (using driver 'hpijs'), etc.? I've tri=
ed=20
them all, no success.

> It will help diagnosis if you say what printer daemon you are using, CU=
PS,
> lpr-old or lprNG.

CUPS. (I knew I'd leave something out (:()   )

> Rob

Thanks for the quick reply
Marcel