[Nottingham] Printers not printing

Ben Blackburne nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jul 3 15:02:00 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 14:15, Duncan John Fyfe wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Marcel Taylor wrote:
>

> > CUPS. (I knew I'd leave something out (:()   )
>
> I had this happen to me the other night.  A formerly working CUPS/printer setup
> stopped working.
> 	lpr -Pprinter foo.ps
>
> and foo.ps would appear in the print queue then vanish without a trace.  The printer
> didn't even blink.
>
> I've not got to the bottom of it yet but I'll let you know if/when I do.
>

> Have fun,
> Duncan

CUPS needs to render the postscript using its seemingly slightly dodgy
ghostscript implementation. If it fails it drops it right away and puts
something about "no pages found", or something similar, in the logs.

Try running your postscript file through ps2ps first. That seems to
basically make a big bitmap out of it in an inoffensive postscript.

Ben