[Nottingham] Hosting your own domain/s?

Joe Wrigley nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jul 7 14:17:00 2003

As far as I'm aware, all you need to pay for is registration of a domain=20
with someone like 123-reg.co.uk (only preferred because they're local=20
and I use them myself, no affiliation) which provides a control panel=20
and the like. For a .uk it's about =A36 summat for 2 years, which comes=20
well within your =A350.

Then you can fiddle around with DNS to point it at your IP, and the rest=20
is up to you, and because it's Linux that should cost you no more. Bingo!

Joe

Kus wrote:
> Greetings and saultations.
>=20
> Just have a browse down the list of excellent and most humorous domain =
names various advertised members have registered for themselves and found=
 myself feeling a definate sudden pang of nameserver
> envy.=20
>=20
> I have therefore resolves to register myself a domain instead of using =
the extremely un-sexy no-ip.com subdomain I've had for donkey's years.
>=20
> I'm running a gentoo based server hosting (for free) muds, shells, ftp =
etc. on a 1mb ntlworld pipe and it would be nice to have a more unique ID=
 and be able to offer mailboxes and such forth or setup
> squirrelmail or something. That said, I dont actually know how it pans =
out financially to host your own domain or if thats even neccesary; the w=
hole entire domain registering thing I just never
> bothered to do, err ever. I dont really want to spend much, less than 5=
0 quid ideally. Bit of a poor student and what not.
>=20
> Can some bright spark on-list lay it all bare nude for me so I can figu=
re out if I can afford to register/transfer/host my own, or if thats the =
way to do it?
>=20
> Failing that if anyone is willing to bung me a subdomain of a suitably =
wacky flavour aimed at my i.p. I could go for that. :)