[Nottingham] Hosting your own domain/s?

Alex Tibbles nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jul 8 13:02:02 2003

Routing is a hard problem (NP complete, I guess -
please correct if I'm wrong) so having routers that
route _really well_ (like not going via TeleHouse etc.
for local traffic) would require very powerful
routers. I suspect that the reason this isn't the case
is that wasting bandwidth is (much) cheaper than
having supercomputers for routers.

(I think that this is mainly becuase routing
calculations have to be distributed, and fast.
Therefore, there is no possibility of computing the
answers in one place and distributing them, it has to
be done at the point of routing. So, you'd have to
have very powerful computers everywhere routing is
performed, which is pretty much everywhere on the
Internet).

But, what are bandwidth vs. CPU power trends? 20 years
for ~1MHz -> ~1GHz in PCs.
Should I compare LAN or WAN technologies?
What were modems like 20 years ago? Guess: 1200bps ~=
1kbps. Now 512Kbps ~= 1Mbps.
LANs: ethernet 10Mbps -> Gigabit ethernet 1Gbps took
20-30 years?
So both increase around 3 orders of magnitude in 20
years. Strange - my guess would have been that CPU
would have followed storage and beaten bandwidth.

<let the rambling continue - sorry>
alex