[Nottingham] Hosting your own domain/s?

Graeme Fowler nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jul 8 14:13:01 2003

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Robert Davies wrote:
> Some ppl like Webfusion are linked to various network access providers, they
> could route local area traffic between NTL and BT, but in practice there's no
> financial incentive to do so, and it's probably not worthwhile.

Indeed. Not only is it pointless, it's terribly performance impacting and
would then mean we'd become a transit provider. Which, absolutely, we're not.
Also we're getting transit from our upstreams, and any clueful net admin will
tell you that allowing transit between different providers is (usually) a
breach of contract - and probably won't work anyway, since they're filtering
our BGP announcements as per our assigned AS number.

> Most major sites are located at Network Access Centres, Nottingham companies
> may well host sites in London, or even in the US.

Or in Nottingham. Which lots of them do.

Graeme