[Nottingham] Redhat Init

Robert Davies nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Jul 9 15:30:01 2003

On Wednesday 09 Jul 2003 15:14, Alex Tibbles wrote:
> I'm trying to get a program to run from boot on a
> Redhat 8.0 system. I've placed symlinks labelled
> S99<appname> in rc3.d and rc5.d to a script that runs
> it in init.d. I havn't made the program a proper
> daemon (detaching from a controlling terminal,
> forking). Would this prevent it running properly from
> init scripts?

Is the script modified from a skeleton init.d script, with the proper start /
stop etc?  If so, then fill in the fields in the header and use checkconfig
to install it.

Otherwise, I think RH has an rc.local script that's run at end of startup.
You can use to run it from there.

It's perfectly possible to run short running scripts and programs from init.d,
without them being cleanly daemonised.  The detaching is to avoid getting
signals from the terminal it was started from, which might be embaressing and
have unpredictable results.

Rob