[Nottingham] Linux InstallFest / Awareness Day 1st November

Duncan John Fyfe nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Jul 9 16:28:00 2003

On 9 Jul 2003, Robert Postill wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 15:10, Duncan John Fyfe wrote:
> 4) Internet security/business, everyone loves a good hacker story, linux
> has top security features and some gfreat business apps (e.g. quotas,
> print and ip accounting).  I'm not sure about this one but I suspect
> someone will ask.

How about a server & security demos demonstrating good performance on
not to hi-spec equipment.

eg. Email server
	Two machines, send / receive to / from each other
	(could put in a private DNS lookup and spoof addresses for some variety).

	What volume of emails can be processed ?
	Requires a nice graphic showing i
	'Number of email's sent'
	'Number of email's received'
	and 'Network activity' (so we can blame the network for being unable to
	keep up if we need to)

> > 4.  Linux tutorials.
> > 	Can we get hold of a screen and projector for the day (I'd hope Green's Mill
> > 	would have one).
> Hmmm, I suspect one-on-one demos would work much better.

okay, I was thinking more 'presentations' rather than tutorials.  I've got no idea what
we might do presentations about but others might.  (Maybe we could use it to screen 'Revolution OS' ;)

Robert, do you know if our hiring of the room would allow members to set up stalls to tout for
business ?

Have fun,
Duncan

--
Duncan John Fyfe          X-ray Astronomy Group,
                          Dept. of Physics & Astronomy,