[Nottingham] Redhat Init

Mike Martin nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jul 10 09:41:01 2003

 --- Alex Tibbles <alex_tibbles@yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > > Is the script
modified from a skeleton init.d
> > script, with the proper start /
> > stop etc?  If so, then fill in the fields in the
> > header and use checkconfig
> > to install it.
> Thanks for that (chkconfig, yes?). I'll look into that
> later when the program will be (probably) a
> start|stop|restart'able daemon.
>
> > Otherwise, I think RH has an rc.local script that's
> > run at end of startup.
> > You can use to run it from there.
> That's what I initially (sorry for the pun) tried and
> seemed to get nothing - putting it in rc.local (it's
> S99local->../rc.local). Can you think of anything that
> would stop this working?

The obvious is that when you run rc.local from a shell you have a
user environment (path . files etc) whilst you dont directly from
rc.local.

An extreme case that comes to mind is fetchmail, which runs from a
~/.fetchmailrc, so if you run it from rc.local you need to specify
the conf file

My test was running exactly