[Nottingham] Linux Tuition

Duncan John Fyfe nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jul 10 16:59:01 2003

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Martin wrote:

> Duncan John Fyfe wrote:
> [... All good stuff ...]
> > I think part of the impetus for the original post in this thread (I'm sure Marcel will
> > correct me if I'm wrong) is that with only ~6 presentation meetings a year there isn't much
> > room for tutorials.
> >
> > hmmm... idea, remote access tutorials ...
>
> Nah... There's lots of those on the web already. Much better to keep it
> groupie, with or even without beers.
>
> (Exchange of ideas an' all that...)
>
> Alternate forthnights for tutorial sessions?
> Advertise it as open for all in the local freebies?

I was thinking along the lines of cheep video conferencing
(without the webcams) so...
server + authentication (VPN?) + remote display+audio (ie. X) combined with
web and IRC as complimentary communication channels.

Then run timetabled tutorials, so if you want to take part in
"GNU/Linux - crossing the species boundary" log in and run the 'getmegoing' script
at 19:00 on Tuesday evenings throughout September.

While it might not be as good as everyone together in a room it would allow hand-on
sessions without needing a room full of equipment.

Have fun,
Duncan

--
Duncan John Fyfe          X-ray Astronomy Group,
                          Dept. of Physics & Astronomy,