[Nottingham] wireless 54Mbps for desktop PC

David Bottrill nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Jul 16 20:25:00 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 10:08, Lee wrote:

> On a side note, the Linksys WAP54G WRG54G run linux 2.4, it's a cramfs
> v1 filesystem, and you can reflash it with your own stuff, although they
> only release a binary version of thier broadcom chipset driver, it's
> just peeks and pokes after all still, should be enough for some bright
> hacker (not me) to reverse engineer...hahaha!
> Seems you can also up the output power of these babies to 88mw rather
> than the pathetic 35mw that most 802.11g are limited too.... useful for
> those long shots!
>
> check out http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/WAP54G

This update is brilliant it has improved the signal from my access point
considerably. Until it died I had a Netgear access point which I had
tweaked to 100mW now my new WAP54G gives me around the same range.

By the way the link from the seattlewireless website to the firmware is
broken, however I managed to find the update by trawling through a Dutch
forum site.

If anyone needs the update let me know and I will make it available.

--
David Bottrill <david@bottrill.org>