[Nottingham] Linux Tuition--Dell Workstations!!!!

Martin nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jul 17 18:27:00 2003

Robert Davies wrote:
> On Thursday 17 Jul 2003 17:08, Lee wrote:
>
>>boot a floppy....
>>then do
>>
>>dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda
>

> Add a bs=256k, but just writing zero's won't prevent the data being
> recovarable (with the right equipment).  Using badblock's is better, and some
> put in a pass, using /dev/urandom to scramble the contents before the
> predictable writes are made.

I don't think anyone around here has got the _analog_ analysers and dsp
stuff available to try to decode overwritten data!

One pass with /dev/zero or /dev/urandom should be enough. Two passes if
you're paranoid and have got the time!! Ten or more times to get the
FBI/CIA/GCHQ suspicious...

A single disk distro and dd should be easy enough. The hard part will be
lugging the things to get plugged up for power/monitor/keyboard.

Regards,

martin@ml1.co.uk