[Nottingham] Linux Tuition--Dell Workstations!!!!

Graeme Fowler nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jul 17 18:37:01 2003

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Martin wrote:
> I don't think anyone around here has got the _analog_ analysers and dsp
> stuff available to try to decode overwritten data!

...and they were just workstations after all. There's probably more viruses
and pr0n on them than decent, time-viable industrial information :)

> One pass with /dev/zero or /dev/urandom should be enough. Two passes if
> you're paranoid and have got the time!! Ten or more times to get the
> FBI/CIA/GCHQ suspicious...

dd using /dev/urandom will do me fine.

> A single disk distro and dd should be easy enough. The hard part will be
> lugging the things to get plugged up for power/monitor/keyboard.

There's nothing sinister, or unusual here: the issue is one of time. Clearly I
cannot do this in work time, however I've been rather busy after work recently
as I have a sprog in development at the moment - Fowlerette v1.0 - and sorting
the house out has been slightly more pressing :)

I'll get there, if it means I have to rope in colleagues to do it!