[Nottingham] TR: gnome toaster

Derek Huskisson nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jul 28 14:05:00 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 08:23, Bunter Matthew wrote:

Let's start off by top posting  & looking at the log ---

> All,
>
> Having a prob with GnomeToaster 1.0Beta6 on Red Hat 9
>
> What I'm trying to burn onto CD are files and folders from a windows partition, moved into a Linux partition for the copying thereof.
>
> Below is the message that I get :
>
> -------------------------------
> GnomeToaster Recording Terminal
> blanking CDRW.
> scsidev: '0,0,0'
> scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
> Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
> cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version
> (schily - Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.75-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c  1.75
> 02/10/21 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
> Cdrecord 2.0 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jrg Schilling
> Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
> Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
> Version        : 0
> Response Format: 1
> Vendor_info    : 'MSI     '
> Identifikation : 'CD-RW MS-8348

Type of CD-RW = MS-8348

>   '
> Revision       : '150D'
> Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
> Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
> Driver flags   : MMC-2 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
> Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P
> RAW/R96R
> Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 12 in real BLANK mode for single
> session.
> Last chance to quit, starting real write in 9 seconds.   8 seconds.   7
> seconds.   6 seconds.   5 seconds.   4 seconds.   3 seconds.   2
> seconds.   1 seconds.   0 seconds. Operation starts.
> CDRW blanking complete.

So far so good, you expected or asked gtoaster to blank the disk ? , I'm
not familiar with gtoaster.

> Recording 577339392 bytes to CD
> GnomeToaster is calling the following command:
> cdrecord dev=0,0,0 speed=2 -data tsize=577339392 /tmp/gtoaster

Note the speed setting in the above line (speed=2), according to:

http://www.target-sale.com/tusa/items/cdrw/i03342.html

  The minimum speed of this CD-RW is 4.

> Cdrecord 2.0 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jrg Schilling
> Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
> Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
> Version        : 0
> Response Format: 1
> Vendor_info    : 'MSI     '
> Identifikation : 'CD-RW MS-8348   '
> Revision       : '150D'

Type of CD-RW = MS-8348
(Still the same) :)

> Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
> Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
> Driver flags   : MMC-2 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
> Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P
> RAW/R96R
> scsidev: '0,0,0'
> scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
> Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
> cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version
> (schily - Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.75-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c  1.75
> 02/10/21 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
> cdrecord: Drive needs to reload the media to return to proper status.
> Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 12 in real TAO mode for single
> session.

This is normal I think, the CD platform should come out and then return
straight away. The speed has now been racked up to 12 (this should be
O/K) Gtoaster calls it a CD/DVD now, but it did before when it did the
blanking which was completed OK, so perhaps the program has a memory
lapse now and again.!

> Last chance to quit, starting real write in 9 seconds.   8 seconds.   7
> seconds.   6 seconds.   5 seconds.   4 seconds.   3 seconds.   2
> seconds.   1 seconds.   0 seconds. Operation starts.cdrecord:

> Snip the rest of the log

I think I would try the cdrecord -- gtoaster appears to be a front end
for this and other programs such as mkisofs (turns the files to be
written to the CD into an ISO9660 file format -- this is needed if you
want to read them back again !!. This isn't unique to Linux by the way.

As I was going to type, before I rambled off, try cdrecord from the
command line (sorry)

     Try :
			cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 speed=4 /tmp/gtoaster

if you want to blank your CD-RW disk first do:

			cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 blank=all

This should take a few minutes.

					Derek

--