[Nottingham] Matrix Reloaded

James Gibbon nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jun 2 22:12:01 2003

Graeme Fowler wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 21:08, James Gibbon wrote:
> > Nonsense, it's pure toss, all style and no substance.
>
> Blimey, talk about cage rattling. I think you may have missed the
> truly obscene amount of 14th thru 20th century philosophy the cast
> had to read in order to attempt to understand the script (have you
> ever really *read* Kant, or Plato? Did you understand it?);

As a matter of fact, I have read, and understood both.  I studied
philosophy at University years ago, albeit part of a 'Humanities'
degree course.  As far as the 'philosophy of the Matrix films' is
concerned - ROTFLMAO, I doubt whether even the producers
expected anyone over the age of 15 to take it seriously (no
offence if you aren't actually over 15).

> > Brilliantly photography, amazing special effects, wonderful sets,
> > clever editing, but I've seen ITV sitcoms with more interesting
> > plots and characterisation.
>
> Really?

Really.  It's not exactly a remarkable claim.

> I think you may be confusing the latest greatest
> so-called-comedy-about-aspiring-middle-class-right-wing-but-right
> -on-educationalists (or whatever is being purveyed as "comedy"
> these days) with something that might actually be described as
> entertainment.

Don't get me wrong - I don't like ITV sitcoms.  But the Matrix
movies are - apart from the spectacular fight scenes / sets /
effects / etc - superficial, insubstantial toss.  I'm not
entirely knocking it, because it IS entertainment of a kind, but
it is hilarious to see them mistaken for truly good films.

The last Bond film suffered from the same emphasis on the
impressive as well.  Impressive photography, stunts and sets, great
soundtrack, deft editing, crap film.  'From Russia With Love' must
have been made on a fraction of its budget, but it engages with the
viewer in a way that 'Die Another Way' never will.