[Nottingham] Matrix Reloaded

James Gibbon nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Jun 4 20:23:00 2003

Graeme Fowler wrote:

> Now far be it from to attempt to be arguing about this, but I did
> not, at any point in the original email, go as far as saying that
> the film was a major piece of philosophical study. The point I was
> making, which for someone so well educated you seem destined to
> miss repeatedly, was that the cast had to read a large number of
> classical philosophical works in order to understand some of the
> nuances in the script.

I did read your comment to this effect with some interest, and
frankly in bringing it up, repeatedly in fact, you DO seem to imply
that there is some sense in which The Matrix and its sequel are to
be taken seriously from a philosophical viewpoint.

Call me cynical, but in all humility, I do not actually believe
that any of the cast were required to read a 'large number of
classical philosophical works' to understand any aspect of the
script.

> I fully understand your reticence to admit any form of link
> between classical philosophy and the script, or the film itself,
> as you clearly feel yourself to have been well educated.

Sincerely, I wish you would not repeatedly refer to my education.
My philosophy course was a first year filler, a third choice after
English literature and French which I only studied for one year. I
have forgotten most of it.  Again - I mentioned it only in order to
answer your question.  I hope, and honestly believe that I would
have made exactly the same points abut (snigger) the 'philosophy of
The Matrix' had I chosen some other course, never read Kant, Plato,
Russell et al.  I certainly didn't have my modest grounding in
Philosophy in mind when I made my original post.

> Do we find ourselves decrying the fact that the cast move around
> in a craft which appears to utilise some form of anti-gravity
> device just because the science is - at present - deemed
> impossible?

Excellent analogy, and one which helps to reinforce my point.
Because science fiction isn't science, is it?

> Perhaps, with your level of education, you should open your mind
> ever-so-slightly and peer through the cracks which open up.

It is ludicrous to suggest that, because I understand that the
'Matrix' films are well-crafted tosh, I have a closed mind.

James