[Nottingham] Matrix Reloaded

Graeme Fowler nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Jun 4 20:57:00 2003

Without once referring to philosophy or education. Whoops... :)

On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 20:21, James Gibbon wrote:
> Excellent analogy, and one which helps to reinforce my point.
> Because science fiction isn't science, is it?

cf. Arthur C. Clarke, William Gibson, and many, many more. Sometimes
science fiction *becomes* science. Many times in the last 50 or so
years, scientists have carried on with work (or budding scientists have
decided to pursue careers) into what seemed to be utterly fruitless
research and made discoveries which have fundamentally changed our lives
for ever, and all because they once read a science fiction novel, or
watched a movie. But that's an entirely different subject to be saved
for another day.

Differences of opinion noted. I look forward to further jousting in
future!

Graeme
--
Graeme Fowler <graeme@graemef.net>