[Nottingham] KDE and remote X connections.

Rob Andrews nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jun 9 19:42:00 2003

[09-Jun-2003 18:09.56 (BST) / Robert Postill]
 > Unfortunately Oracle is only set-up via X these days so I'm trying to
 > get the display working on my linux box (10.1.1.52).  I'm using KDE
 > mostly and even though I'm setting the DISPLAY variable on the Sun box
 > (10.1.1.4) to 10.1.1.52:0.0 I'm getting "Error: Can't open display:
 > 10.1.1.52:0.0" messages.  Now if I change to GNOME, no problem.  Only
 > KDE exhibits the behaviour so I know it's not the xhosts getting in the
 > way.  Has anyone any ideas?

Seems that you have a few likely courses of action;
  - setup xhost authentication. Many people usually consider this to be as
    close to using rsh/rlogin as you can get, so if you're on a public
    network, consider something else.
  - use xauth to generate authentication cookies between the two hosts.
  - use ssh X forwarding (which uses xauth across the tunnel) to pass the
    display data across the ssh tunnel. Usually painfully easy to do.

btw, your signing key doesn't appear to be on the generally available
circuit of key servers. If you require that people verify the authenticity
of your messages, you should consider rectifying this.

--
rob 'nine' andrews    <e> rob@impure.org.uk <finger> nine@impure.org.uk