[Nottingham] Request for CDW help

Martin nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jun 13 00:49:00 2003

Marcel Taylor wrote:
> Can someone help getting my CDRW to work? ...
> I'd be happy to remunerate you in some way, a
> meal,  drinks, etc.
>
> Trying to use the CDRW causes a kernel panic.

Hi Marcel,

Try searching the news groups on www.google.com for your details...
There may well be some other out there with the same setup and already
blundered through the same fix...

Meanwhile, there's always a good excuse for a meal and some beers!

Unofficial meet this coming Wed somewhere in the city?...

Meanwhile2:

My Sony CD-RW causes a system freeze when I do not have hdg=none
specified or if instead I have hdg=ide-scsi. Not specifying it still
causes a freeze up.

To recap:

hdg=none: and all works fine except no CD-RW!

hdg=ide-scsi: freeze during boot

Last onscreen boot message is:
Finding module dependencies:   [OK]

Starting up RAID devices

and specifying nothing on the lilo append line lets bootup complete
through to starting X, to then cause a complete freeze up as soon as I
try to logon.

Mandrake 9.1 on an MSI K7T266 Pro2 RU (MS-6380 V2.0), AMD AthlonXP
(Palomino core), onboard Promise RAID, hda=disk1, hdc=disk0,
hde=DVD-Rom, hdg=CD-RW

Help?

martin@ml1.co.uk