[Nottingham] Request for CDW help

Duncan John Fyfe nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jun 16 09:06:01 2003

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Marcel Taylor wrote:

> Hi Everyone
>
> Can someone help getting my CDRW to work? Would you be willing to come round
> to my house and sort it out? I'd be happy to remunerate you in some way, a
> meal,  drinks, etc.
>
> Trying to use the CDRW causes a kernel panic.
>
> manufacturer: AMACOM, model Baby CDRW AMA-BR2, connection: USB 1.0
> laptop:Toshiba Tecra 8000
> USB hub: UHCI
> SuSE 8.1, KDE 3.1, kernel 2.4.19-4GB
> Burners: K3b and KonCD
>
> Thanks,
> Marcel Newbie Taylor

Hello Marcel et al.
Sorry for the delay in responding but work sent me to Germany (36 C and humid in Garsching last Thursday).

A few details for those offering hep,
We had a quick look at the laptop/cdrw at the February meeting but decided there wasn't much we could do there due to short batter life and all plug sockets being taken.  What we did discover was that something about the cdrw was causing a kernel oops.

Marcel,
First, please update your kernel and modules if SuSe 8.1 has available
packages.

After that I guess the best place to start is the logs.

Scenario 1.
1. Plug the cdrw drive in, switch the machine on.
2. Once running would you copy the file (assuming SuSe keeps them
in the usual place) "/var/log/messages" to a safe place (you may need
to be logged in as root to do this).
3. Insert a data CD and try to do something (eg. copy a file from it).
4. Copy that file "/var/log/messages" to a different name in the 'safe place'.
5. Attatch the two copies to an email and send them to me (not to the whole list).

Scenario 2.
As Scenario 1 but plug the cdrw drive in after the machine has booted.

Have fun,
Duncan

--
Duncan John Fyfe          X-ray Astronomy Group,
                          Dept. of Physics & Astronomy,