[Nottingham] laptop for linux - suggestions

Tom Bird nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jun 13 16:25:01 2003

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Godfrey wrote:

> HI list,
>
> I have some money to spend on a laptop computer (about 1 grand), and of course I want to run our favourite OS on it instead of that glass thingy (grin).
>
> Any suggestions as to appropriate make/model would be appreciated.

I have a Dell Inspiron 4100 which runs Debian unstable just fine.  It's
got an Nvidia geforce 2 go, which was the only thing that caused me any
problems whatsoever (nvidia cards need a binary driver for Stuff), but
even then, it was pretty easy to get around.

Wireless LAN, compact flash reader, usb webcam, all works fine.  It even
speed steps from 733 to 1.13ghz when you stick the power cable in.

--
Tom  [www.hambule.co.uk] [tom@hambule.co.uk]