CD-RW help 2 (Re: [Nottingham] Request for CDW help)

Martin nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jun 17 21:10:00 2003

[...]
 >>> Can you do an 'hdparm -i ...' on you cd-rw and find out what it
 >>> thinks it is capable of.  I had problems because mine only
 >>> handles mdma2 but the kernel tried auto-assumed udma. The
 >>> solution was to disable auto-assume udma and enabe it on a per
 >>> interface option.
 >>

 >> The CD-RW is located at "hdg". However, this is never mentioned
 >> past the boot up messages. There is no /dev/hdg generated.
 >>
 >> The CD-Rom/DVD-Rom drive appears fine as hde with a /dev/hde entry
 >> and also entries in /dev/cdrom and as /dev/cdrom0.
 >>
 >> Martin
 >>

 > ok, ide-cd is nuked by turing if off in the kernel OR if it is a
 > module you might try moving the module out of the way mv
 > /lib/modules/blah/blah/blah/ide-cd.o /someplace/safe/ide-cd.o
 >
 > Do you have devfs mounted on /dev ? I have normal dev on /dev and
 > devfs on /devfs atm to satisfy different needs of things out of my
 > control. If you have normal dev on /dev take a look at /dev/MAKEDEV.
 > I know little about devfs but...
 >
 > Do you get any /dev/scd? Does 'cdrecord -scanbus' tell you anything
 > useful ?

OK, after more ferklings...

Still not having much success following online details about hacking
/etc/modules, and /etc/modules.conf. Also tried on the append line
"hdg=scsi" (as opposed to hdg=ide-scsi) and that has the same effect as
specifying nothing... That is, system freeze immediately before the
splash screen for starting kde.

This system uses devfsd, and there's .devfs and log in /dev. Using
modprobe to load ide-scsi or sr_mod or sg give kernel messages to say
its been done, but no found devices get listed.

So still stuck.

How are you supposed to initiate a hardware scan to find ide devices?
Or why might ide-scsi not do anything useful?

??????

martin@ml1.co.uk