[Nottingham] LinuxUser Expo - OK, wangled it

Duncan John Fyfe nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jun 19 16:35:00 2003

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Michael Erskine wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I managed to wangle it to visit the Expo

exellent, glad to hear it.

> -- my official purpose is to
> visit the Networks for Business Expo
> (http://www.networksforbusiness.com/) to try and figue out if one of our
> potential partners is lying about the unique capabilites of their WiFi
> products. Myself and a collegue will be there 10am - 3.30pm on Tuesday
> and we'll be mostly investigating wireless solutions, esp.
> highly-mobile* (train & bus) TCP/IP (private) networking.

Are you thinking of adding access points to your 'timetable display' PC's
to provide WiFi at stations or are you thinking more about over the mobile
phone networks ?

> Anyone else who'll be there on Tuesday, drop me a line and we'll hook up
> for a brew.

I'll be there Tuesday and Wednesday.  My mobile no for the day will be:
	07866851152

Give me a bell when you're free.

> * If anyone has any thoughts on 802.11 limitations for such mobility,
> let me know.

1. Range

2. Doppler shifts ;)
How fast would you need to be moving before the shift between your card and the
access point's tranmist/receive bands caused problems ?

Have fun,
Duncan

--
Duncan John Fyfe          X-ray Astronomy Group,
                          Dept. of Physics & Astronomy,