[Nottingham] SuSE Goodies (was: NTL Cache Performance Suggestions)

Robert Davies nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Mar 2 15:01:01 2003

On Sunday 02 March 2003 12:16, you wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, Robert Davies wrote:
> > On Saturday 01 March 2003 23:49, you wrote:
> > > That's piracy. Seriously! SuSE Personal contains non-GPL software.
> >
> > Sorry but SuSE Linux installs fine via ftp, you do not need ISO's, you
> > can use boot floppy or burn a small bootcd and then use DHCP to a router
> > for the installation, possibly using an http/ftp proxy cache (appears
> > HTTP generally faster).
>
> Roger Whittaker from SuSE UK should be turning up to Wednesday's talk by
> Richard Hegg and mentioned something about goodies for the LUG.
>
> Show up and you never know what you might go away with...  ;-)

Yep, I get a bit pissed off seeing repeated SuSE FUD on uk.os.linux and
elsewhere on net, by those who prefer to repeat 'Net myths' without checking.

Fact is in many ways (having run RH in commercial installation) SuSE is
actually much more Hacker Friendly and they give you much more tech info and
are more approachable.  I left RH because of the support, which got even
worse, as they steered ppl to RH Network.

I buy the upgrades just to have the manual and DVD for convenience, and help
support the future of Linux, SuSE back many projects like ALSA, Kernel-VM,
ReiserFS, KDE, joystick code, USB and do punch their weight.

I think the cheap CD ppl took a dislike because they couldn't burn SuSE ISO's
and sell them, which is source of a lot of the non-GPL / non-Free distro talk
comes from.

Rob