[Nottingham] NTL Cache Performance Suggestions

Alex Tibbles nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Mar 3 11:02:00 2003

<snip>
> poster :) Nah, tell you what, I'll get Redhat 8 and
> bung that on. I like the
> idea of only paying for support - it's great. You
> get to test something for
> free before buying it, and if you have trouble,
> that's when you pay...
isn't it strange that one of the companies that have
done most (probably not _the_ most) to make linux
easier to install and configure, make money mainly
through it being difficult? I wonder what they say
about this in the business plan they show to
investors: "We're going to make linx harder to use for
outsiders by developing powerful but incredibly
obscure tools that only our programmers know how to
use in order to make people pay us money to show them
how to use them". Or "We will make Linux(R) so easy to
use that a monkey could do it, without tech support
and then charge the monkeys for tech support. D'oh!"

> If
> only Microsoft did it this way.
At server level they did (do?), no? Wasn't NT4 5
support questions free, then 1000$/ question? Or was
that a myth?

alex