[Nottingham] Debian devotion [was: OE Reply Fixer]

Robert Davies nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Mar 5 11:38:05 2003

On Wednesday 05 March 2003 11:14, you wrote:

> A couple of months ago I moved back to Mandrake (version 9.0) as I was
> getting to the point where I wanted to a distro I could use and not
> think to much about, but I don't think that a weekend has gone by when I
> haven't wanted to re-install Debian, most notably when I am trying to
> install something and have to mess around with dependencies!

Why don't you borrow some SuSE 8.1 CD's and give it a try, the YaST Sofware
Package manager sorts all that out, for things which are available on the ftp
mirrors, and with 7CDs of software to try SuSE is a 'fat' distribution.  I
rarely struggle with dependencies

http://www.suse.co.uk/uk/private/products/suse_linux/i386/index.html

For the update to KDE-3.1 I did it by hand with rpm, and needed a few
--replacefiles and one -i rather than -F to get everything sorted, but after
I discovered that it looks like a YaST Online Update tree is prepared, and I
could have used as an isntallation source, it if only I'd noticed.

When I do need a newer version of something, which isn't available on SuSE
ftp site, I install the source rpm, then build a new updated rpm package. I
take a look at the patches that were applied and remove any irrelevant ones,
then do a rebuild to create up to date source, and binary rpm packages.  Most
often that is much faster, easier and less error prone than the standard
(./configure; make -j3; make install) steps.

This FAQ on rpm software packages made available by a German team, I
translated for the Leicester LUG list and might be of interest, as it  :

[Leicester] Packman English FAQ (was Re: java applets)