[Nottingham] Too much traffic

Chris Hastie nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Mar 6 09:52:01 2003

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Mark Ellis <mark@strongbow.net> wrote

>> My MUA filters each list I'm on (around 50) into separate folders,
>> threads them and deletes mailing list messages over a specified age, so
>> in effect mailing lists look very much like newsgroups to me.
>
>What e-mail clients are people using, At present I am using Evolution
>1.0.8-10 and although it does have some features I do not seem to have a
>kill thread option or be able to delete mails from folders older than a
>week.

Er, confession time I guess. I mostly still read my email on a Windoze
box using Turnpike (hangs head in shame). Turnpike is one of the main
reasons why I still use Windows. I've used it for years, love it and
just haven't found anything to come near it in terms of its mailing list
handling, routing, general standards compliance etc.

Having said that, Imp (the Horde mail module, as described by Richard
Heggs last evening) actually comes close (never thought I'd say that of
a webmail client!). The main thing I miss with Imp is not being able to
auto expire old mail in mailing list folders. There are a few other
issues too, notably associating specific identities with particular
folders. But used in conjunction with Cyrus, sieve and Ingo (the horde
module for managing sieve scripts) it's an excellent solution.

Turnpike actually makes its folders available via an IMAP server of its
own, so I use Imp (running on my FreeBSD box, which sounds as if it's
just spontaneously rebooted - bugger) to provide remote, web based
access to my mail in Turnpike.
--
Chris Hastie