[Nottingham] Too much traffic

Steve Caddy nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Mar 6 10:51:01 2003

> Aren't mailing lists ideal for high-traffic?

No, they're not, because each message has to be emailed to each member
on the list. If the number of users increases or the number of messages
increases, the overall traffic on the lists server rises with a N^2
complexity. A forum's traffic would be closer to linear.

I have to say, I don't read all the threads on this list, because
there is just too much. I've just returned from a 3 day (work related)
trip to Belgium, and I come back to a mailbox with 164 unread messages.
It's very unlikely I'll read them all (discounting the UCE which just
gets trashed).

Steve

--
"Hardware - the part of the computer you kick when the software fails"