[Nottingham] Too much traffic

Andy Davidson nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Mar 11 13:38:01 2003

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 07:12:35PM +0000, Robert Davies wrote:
 > It used to be common to have Email -> News gateways and use USEnet
 > readers to handle high volume lists,
[...]

Sigh.  I actually configured a newsgate on the old lug.org.uk server.
Lugadmins complained that they didn't like the idea of lists being
available in a news-format or archived, and the news server idea was
abandoned.

But yes, lists gated to newsgroups help a lot of people 'keep on top' of
things.  We use a list->news gateway extensively where I work - the DBAs
read shedloads of lists, and reading them in a newsreader suits their
style more quickly.

And before the old argument about rfc1089<-->rfc2822 message formats
starts: properly setup newsgates work bidrectionally without upsetting users
of a certain mail client (one which doesn't like Newsgroup: headers in
an email.)

--
Regards, Andy Davidson
Systems Administrator