[Nottingham] Too much traffic

James Gibbon nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Mar 6 14:34:00 2003

Mark Ellis wrote:

> What e-mail clients are people using, At present I am using
> Evolution 1.0.8-10 and although it does have some features I do
> not seem to have a kill thread option or be able to delete mails
> from folders older than a week.
>
> So any suggestions for a change ?

I use exmh combined with procmail/fetchmail, for about six years
now.

exmh has a responsive user/worker community and is essentially an
overlay for (n)mh.  It's not particularly pretty, but it is
extremely robust, configurable and effective and I wouldn't use
anything else.  Deleting threads is easy, and although it doesn't
natively support auto-deletion of mail older than a specific time,
it's not hard to plug in a script that will do this for you.

One really nice feature is that you can select text in the
message editor and pipe it through a shell command - I very
often pipe quoted text through

    sed "s/^> //" |fmt2 66 |sed "s/^/> /"

.. to reformat it, as I did with yours for example (fmt2 is a
replacement for fmt that I knocked up in C - fmt doesn't always
format text properly in my opinion).

You only have to type your shell 'text filter' once, then you
can select it from a menu of previously typed filters.

Cool, eh? :)

James