[Nottingham] debian?

Rob Andrews nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Mar 23 20:51:00 2003

[23-Mar-2003 15:15.39 (GMT) / Simon Amor]
 > > You mentioned 'testing'; Are you after the unstable ('current') branch?
 > Something a bit more recent than kernel 2.2.20

debian uses 2.2 for the bootdisks, but also has 2.4 bootdisks also.

Try apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.19.

 > > Will upgrade to the latest package versions.
 > It must already be up to date as nothing happened.

Yes, although that's not 'up to date' as in to the latest packages - woody
is a stable branch that is no longer having new package versions inserted
into it.

 > Doesn't appear to be any instance of woody in there. I did try
 > replacing 'stable' with 'testing' but that just died horribly next time
 > I tried to use apt-get

Right. Yes. Quite possible.

'stable', 'testing', 'unstable' are symbolic tags. 'stable' is currently
'woody'. Before that it was 'potato'. 'testing' is currently 'sid', and
'unstable' is currently 'sarge'. When 'sid' becomes the next stable, an
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade will move your system to 'sid'. I
tend to prefer using the actual names of the distribution, given some of my
hardware really won't like going to the latest distro version when it comes
around (25MHz Sun IPC, anyone?).

I'll put my foot in my mouth and say "trust testing", because 'unstable'
really is very much that from time to time. The number of people who track
it and complain when they dist-upgrade and find half their pacakges
deinstall themselves due to package renaming is silly - if you're going to
track something unstable, either know what you're doing before updating or
just accept it when you have to reinstall a bunch of stuff <g>
Testing should have KDE 3.1 and GNOME 2.2 in. Give that a bash - just
replace 'stable' with 'sid' in your sources.list file and let it go.

--
rob 'nine' andrews         <e> rob@impure.org.uk <pgp_key> 0x8bb5c71e
is nothing sacred?   <more> finger nine@impure.org.uk for more detail