[Nottingham] debian?

Alex Tibbles nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Mar 24 09:55:00 2003

> apt is fairly simple. If you're happy with staying
> with 'woody', then:
>
> apt-get install <package>
unless 'upgrading' the machine means moving to a newer
version of the distro. there are debian packages for
the kernel - eg. 'apt-get install
kernel-image-2.4.18', and there is kernel-source for
custom kernel creation. kernel-images are available in
386, 586, k7 etc. flavours.

> apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> Will upgrade to the latest package versions.
>
> apt-cache is also Your Friend.
>
> Most people grimace at it, but I'm quite accustomed
> to using 'dselect'. Try
> it: you might like it.
>
> Start it.
> Choose item 2 - Update. Press enter. Wait.
> Choose item 3 - Select. Press space to exit help,
you may wish to run 'dselect --expert' after the first
time since this help screen is very annoying. you can
always access the help anyway (press '?').

it may also be handy to consider tasksel (apt-get
instal tasksel :) ) which is more like the redhat
pacage selector - choose things like 'desktop - KDE'
or 'databases' etc. handy for getting the whole of KDE
etc.

alex