[Nottingham] Compiler optimisation flags (gcc, g++)

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Mon Nov 3 17:33:22 GMT 2003

Martin wrote:

> -falign-functions=4 -preferred-stack-boundary=4

These might take some emperical measurement to verify since you might
find aligning on higher boundaries better fits CPU cachelines.

This is all theorectical stuff because in reality you are unlikely to
notice a huge difference between the flags given and a simple march.

> Are programmers silly enough to use computed goto or other sillies that
> will cause problems with the above optimisations?

I cannot recall a situation in which I have seen it used other than in
the google search I did for it before replying :-).

Cheers,

Jon.