[Nottingham] Compiler optimisation flags (gcc, g++)

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Nov 5 01:44:28 GMT 2003

Jon Masters wrote:
> Martin wrote:
>
>> -falign-functions=4 -preferred-stack-boundary=4
>

> These might take some emperical measurement to verify since you might
> find aligning on higher boundaries better fits CPU cachelines.

Supposedly, aligning to 2^4 bytes gives the AthlonXP cache an easy time.

> This is all theorectical stuff because in reality you are unlikely to
> notice a huge difference between the flags given and a simple march.

All in the hope of gaining a few % performance boost before the next
upgrade. Opterons next when they mature to the 2nd revision.

>> Are programmers silly enough to use computed goto or other sillies
>> that will cause problems with the above optimisations?
>

> I cannot recall a situation in which I have seen it used other than in
> the google search I did for it before replying :-).

Then, all looks hopeful!

The first big test is when I get round to kernel compiling...

All good fun,

martin at ml1.co.uk