[Nottingham] Starting out

Stephen Hodgson S.Hodgson-03 at student.lboro.ac.uk
Wed Nov 5 09:32:49 GMT 2003

Hi Jay.

The first step is to select your distribution - there are literally
hundreds out there although you should probably stick with a popular and
well-known one with good documentation to start with.  For someone with
UNIX experience it is probably worth looking at Debian or Slackware for
a first distribution but ensure you have read a getting started guide
for the distribution you choose first in case there are any issues you
need to be aware of.  You should also have an understanding of the kind
of partitiong scheme you require if you choose either of these distros.
  Both Debian and Slackware are freely downloadable from debian.org and
slackware.com.  You can also download boot disks can use them to get an
FTP install started, the advantage of which is that you'll only download
what you need.  If you don't have a broadband Internet connection then
you can buy CD sets for very reasonable prices.
http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/ is one place where they'll download the
distro for you and put it on CD for a few pounds but there are a few
others too.

The other popular 'advanced user' distro is Gentoo but I hesitate to
recommend Gentoo if you're installing to a 300MHz Celeron system, as the
whole idea is that you compile every piece of software yourself and that
might take a considerable amount of time on such a low-spec machine.

If you're after a quicker start then the most popular 'newbie' or
'Windows user' distros are SuSE (www.suse.com) and Mandrake
(http://www.mandrakesoft.com/).  Both of these distros include GUI
installation routines and point-and-click system administration tools as
well as automatic disk partitioning.  You'll also find distros included
on the cover discs of magazines like Linux format (which I believe costs
about £5-7).

Awk and sed are pretty much included as-standard with every distro.
There are a number of text editors that you'll find useful when shell
programming but it's all a matter of taste but for getting started
you'll find vi and vim are included with all major distros.  In terms of
what tools you can use... well... the list is almost endless - there's a
tool for every task and they tend to be freely available on the
Internet, along with source code.  Select your task and then use Google
and it shouldn't take long for you to find something.  Consider that
Linux powers a great many webservers, mail servers, file servers and so
on and you should get an idea of just how many and what sort of tools
are available.

Stephen Hodgson