[Nottingham] Starting out

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Nov 5 12:58:09 GMT 2003

Stephen Hodgson wrote [Top posting the MS reverse chronillogical way]:
> Hi Jay.
>
> The first step is to select your distribution - there are literally
> hundreds out there although you should probably stick with a popular and
[...]
> If you're after a quicker start then the most popular 'newbie' or
> 'Windows user' distros are SuSE (www.suse.com) and Mandrake
> (http://www.mandrakesoft.com/).  Both of these distros include GUI
> installation routines and point-and-click system administration tools as
> well as automatic disk partitioning.  You'll also find distros included
> on the cover discs of magazines like Linux format (which I believe costs
> about £5-7).

Mandrake 9.2 is on the disks with this month's Linux Format. £6.49 for
the mag with DVD. The CD version is cheaper, but the DVD saves a lot of
hassle.

Only thing to look out for is whether you have an LG CD *ROM* drive in
your system. LG very stupidly reused one of the ATAPI commands to reload
the drive's firmware. This has tripped up all the kernels enabled for
packet writing into inadvertantly destroying the LG firmware, including
Mandrake 9.2. LG CDRWs are not affected, but still check the Mandrake
site to confirm. There is now a revised kernel with packet writing
disabled, until a better fix is found...

There's also a few updates to download ofcourse. When you install, only
install what you actually need. You can very easily install the
remaining multi-GigaBytes of stuff once you've got the system running
and updated.

Mandrake will be a little slow on a 300MHz machine, but still useable if
you have more than 128MB of RAM.

And it comes with more utilities than I know about!

There's also PuppyLinux, a very small distro, on the Linux Format DVD.

... And then there are our NLUG Morphix CDs for a very quick start-up
taster!!!

Good luck,

and welcome to the group.

> jay haynes <jasonz249 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I have now got a Compaq 300mhz celeron and am ready to start. Where do
>> i get a copy of linux from to install. Also what tools can you use
>> with Linux , does it have sed or awk or any shell programming utilities.
[...]

martin at ml1.co.uk