[Nottingham] Dodgy characters

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Thu Oct 2 15:01:45 BST 2003

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 12:49:59PM +0100, Michael Leuty wrote:
> To do this proper, like, I néêd tò emplöy dòdgy cháràctêrs with extra
> bits on the top.
> Using the gb-uk keyboard layout under KDE I can achieve this by holding
> down <Alt Gr> and pressing ;'# or [ as dead keys, which when followed
> by a vowel give áâàä respectively. And ; gives ç with c.
> Unfortunately I can't get this neat trick to work under Gnome. Does
> anyone know how?

The standard way is to set a key as a Compose key and it'll work for all
X apps.

I do this in my console keymap so it will even work when I'm at a
standard VT.

It's described under Compose Key at
http://the.earth.li/~huggie/cgi-bin/moin/LinuxCompTips

On there you'll also see a way to do it just for X with xmodmap under
Compose key part deux.

--
----------(    <forc3> zsh je trouve ke tu passes plus de    )----------
----------(       temps a faire la conf k'a l'utiliser       )----------