[Nottingham] Dodgy characters

James Beckett jmb at hackery.net
Thu Oct 2 16:11:48 BST 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 15:01, Simon Huggins wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 12:49:59PM +0100, Michael Leuty wrote:
> > To do this proper, like, I néêd tò emplöy dòdgy cháràctêrs with extra
> > bits on the top.
> > Using the gb-uk keyboard layout under KDE I can achieve this by holding
> > down <Alt Gr> and pressing ;'# or [ as dead keys, which when followed
> > by a vowel give áâàä respectively. And ; gives ç with c.
> > Unfortunately I can't get this neat trick to work under Gnome. Does
> > anyone know how?
>
> The standard way is to set a key as a Compose key and it'll work for all
> X apps.
> http://the.earth.li/~huggie/cgi-bin/moin/LinuxCompTips

I'm using Gnome in RH9, and the dead keys work OK - though the
cedilla has moved:

AltGr+...
; áéíóú
' âêîôû
# àèìòù
[ äëïöü
= ç
] ñ

There's a whole load of other useful odd characters as well (have a look
in 'man iso_8859_1')

AltGr+...
1 2 3	¹ ² ³	(superscript 1/2/3)
5 6	½ ¾	(half, three-quarters)
Shift-4	¼	(1-quarter - why the shift, I don't know)
aA	æ Æ	(latin AE)
cC	¢ ©	(cent, copyright)
m	µ	(greek micro)
o	øØ
p	þ	(I have no idea what this is, but it looks cool)
r	¶	(pilcrow)
s	ß	(German "sharp s")
S	§	(section sign)
zx	« »	(German quotation marks, or pretty delimiters)

I recall xmodmap helpfully including the dead keys in its output once,
but it doesn't seem to do so now.. any thoughts?

Disclaimer: I don't do much keyboard mapping stuff now - I gave up in
fear and loathing after programming Japanese input methods...

James Beckett <jmb at hackery.net>